Monday, September 3, 2012

Chalk Your Card

If you have never tried to use chalk to color an image, try it.  You may find that it is a fun new way to make your images shine!  I have pretty much avoided chalk, except for using it as a blush on cheeks of my images.  It works wonderfully for this, as there are no "lines" and it tends to give a softer and more natural look than markers or pencils.  I like the "Cotton Candy" shade from the CHALK AH LOT line.  Well, I have a drawer full of stencils that I never used, and I remembered seeing a technique using chalk and stencils, so I gave it a try and the image on this card is what I came up with.  It was fast, simple and fun!  Here's how I did it:

Take a stencil and tape it to your cardstock.  I used a Lasting Impressions stencil and Post It Tape, which is removable.  I selected some pretty Chalk Ah Lot colors to use.  This chalk is powdered and is less messy than sticks of chalk that I have used in the past.  I used a blender pen and dipped it into the chalk and just colored--easy.  The BEST and MOST FUN part is when you pick up the stencil and see what you have.  Next I cut out the image with an oval die (I used a Spellbinders).  Leaving the die on the image, I used a small stiff stencil brush to add the blue.  Then I just layered it onto some scalloped ovals and added it my card.

There are lots of beautiful colors to choose from and it is not expensive (a major plus) and a little chalk goes a long way.  You can find the chalk HERE along with more information on using it.  Also, check out the CHALK AH LOT CAFE blog where you will find tutorials and projects to inspire you.  Have fun!

1 comment:

ParkNSlide said...

So pretty! Great effect with all the layering and the 3-D butterfly. The patterned paper adds a contrast to the focal image.